Welcome to the Stony Ridge Farm Apiary Community and Honey Bee Hive Shares!🐝
This membership community is designed to provide easy, online access to the universe of the honey bee. It is designed for people who do not have the time or resources to maintain their own hives. In April of 2018, we are adding two hives to the farm’s ecosystem. As a member of the Beekeepers of the Northern Shenandoah, we have plenty of support and mentorship in our efforts to establish a thriving apiary at the farm. Should this program be exceedingly successful, we will add a third hive in the summer of 2018.
You Do Not Have to Be Local to Participate
You may live anywhere in the United States to participate in the Stony Ridge Farm Apiary Community and Hive Share Program. The first year members will receive their shares by mail, postage included. All other aspects of the membership are easily managed online. Read on for a fuller description of membership benefits.
The honey bee hive share is open for enrollment from March-May 2018. This first-year community’s membership will last for 18 months, through August of 2019. This will allow members to support the installation of the hive, and benefit from honey harvests in 2019 (God and Nature willing!). Here is the list of benefits:
- A certificate of membership.
- A jar of my homemade maple syrup (while supplies last). Discontinued when the maple syrup is completely distributed.
- An eight-week e-course on beekeeping basics.
- A monthly newsletter update with photographs of the hives.
- The ability to come to the farm to witness installation and maintenance of hives. I have a second bee suit so at least one person can help. Others will be seated with Bob and McKeever at a safe distance from the hives.
- Should our bees survive the winter (which is likely as I have more time to dedicate to hive maintenance), members will get an equal portion of all harvests. (See below for risks.) The honey will come with customized labels with your family’s name included.
- An invitation to participate in the 2019 Apiary Community and Hive Share at a Founders Discount price.
- Membership in our closed Facebook Group where we will host Facebook Live events for members to virtually visit the hives.
Honey bees are a living community of pollinators. They are under extreme stress due to the impacts of agrochemical pesticides, herbicides, and climate change. While we offer this honey bee hive share as an opportunity to be part of the healing of the current plight of the honey bee, we must admit that there is the risk of colony collapse disorder with our hives. Should this unfortunate turn of events unfold, we will immediately inform members and present next steps in the evolution of the apiary.
I will update members about the health of each of the hives each week in our newsletter, from April through October, and then each time the hive is open in the winter months.
About Stony Ridge Farm
Stony Ridge Farm is a working homestead in the rolling Appalachian hills that surround Harpers Ferry, WV. The farm is populated by its humans (Lorrie & Bob), McKeever the wonder pup, Pickles and Olive sister cats, 2 very goofy Tennessee Fainting Goats, and about 40 heritage breed chickens. The landscape includes a beautiful edible garden along our welcoming front porch. Its star performers are 20 rhubarb plants and strawberry groundcover. We have a 1-acre 4-season market garden. In years past this garden supported our CSA/Farm share program and now supports our household pantry. We expect to convert half that garden to lavender this year and next. This will, of course, feed the bees!
Visit the Bees
If you are not local to the Harpers Ferry area, please consider visiting the bees by staying at our Farmhouse Retreat, Airbnb room(s) with private bath. When planning your visit, email me in advance and I will extend a 10% discount on your stay. You can visit Farmhouse Retreat and Farmhouse Retreat Family for more information.
Contact me for More Information
Intrigued but not convinced? Simply contact me for more information or to schedule a visit to the farm. Happy to talk bees, gardens, chickens, goats, and fermentation anytime with anyone!
Seasonal Living Resource Library
Sign up for access to our exclusive Seasonal Living Resource Library! it's full of free downloads and printables to help you create your seasonal life -
Stony Ridge Farm
food | garden | home | wellness